You are here

Vitamin D - again ....

Daily Vitamin D Consumption May Reduce Cancer Mortality

https://scitechdaily.com/daily-vitamin-d-consumption-may-reduce-cancer-m...

When all 14 studies were pooled, no statistically significant results emerged. However, when the studies were divided according to whether vitamin D3 was taken daily in a low dose or in higher doses administered at longer intervals, a large difference was seen. In the four studies with the infrequent higher doses, there was no effect on cancer mortality. In contrast, in the summary of the ten studies with daily dosing, the researchers determined a statistically significant twelve percent reduction in cancer mortality.

-----------------------

I have long felt that mimicking nature is a better way to improve health. Vitamin D is not provided by nature in large monthly doses! or weekly doses for that matter. The most vitamin D, for example, that our bodies produce on any given day in the sun around noon during the summer and with most of our clothes off is between 10,000-20,000 IU's (250mcg). And most of the time our bodies are producing much less given the latitude, sun exposure and time of year. Since our bodies can only produce, at most 10-20,000 IU's, does it make sense to flood the body with 50,000 - 60,000 IU's at one time artificially.

In other words, nature provides vitamin D to be made in our skin gradually, on most days leading up to summer peak and then falling away. It does seem that mimicking nature is best for our health. And that is what I do.

In my own protocol, I take 5,000 IU's of vitamin D3 every single day when I am not in the sun scuba diving in summer (which is not often enough, so most days I am taking vitamin D3). In winter I take more vitamin D(3) between 5,000 & 10,000 IU's every day. I measure my blood levels to be sure I am in range (60 - 100 ng/ml). I do let my vitamin D rise and fall with the seasons, again to mimick nature (i.e. 100 ng/ml upper limit in summer, 60 ng/ml lower limit in winter).

Weekly 50,000 IU prescriptions from the medical establishment make no sense to me and I believe could be harmful. Yet doctors prescribe it to patients low in vitamin D. It is much better to mimick nature, get your D levels up gradually (over 3 - 6 months) if low so your body can adapt properly. Just like our ancestors adapted from winter to summer with gradually increasing vitamin D synthesis in the skin as the sun rose higher in the sky.

Our ancestors were out in the fields farming finding food under the sun and not in offices. By mimicking nature as best we can, perhaps we will lead healthier lives.