You are here

Sprycel stability

Categories:

Hi all!
I take Sprycel 70mg.The pills are always in a small plastic bottle with a kids safety cup.Also it has a small white cylindrical thing to absorb humidity
Today I took the last pill of the bottle and I noticed that this thing was missing....I do not know how many days are the pills without that.
My question is:Is there a possibility for the pills to lose their affectiveness because of that?

Unless the pill is decomposed into a granular mush (i.e. no more pill), it is fine. Dasatinib is manufactured as a salt for stability and to help it dissolve easily when ingested. If exposed to high humidity (> 70%), it could clump with other pills and as it absorbs moisture (salts are hygroscopic). This is unlikely for a long time in most homes where humidity is around 50%. Think of table salt in the kitchen and how long it can last exposed to the air. Table salt will "clump" eventually which is why "rice" is often used to keep salt dry in the shaker, but it would take weeks and weeks for this to happen.

Dasatinib in a bottle without its humidity absorber to clump up with other pills will last weeks and weeks even longer.

Hi Scuba
A cylidrical white thing that contains really small pellets to absorb humidity in the bottle..

As long as the sprycel pills are intact, it's not an issue.