You are here

NCCN guidelines for CML warnings regarding Turmeric

I was diagnosed a year ago and it is my opinion that this forum is by far the best source of information for CML patients so I have been taking the supplements that other members of the forum recommend and Curcumin is one that everybody agrees including myself we should take.
I am trying to understand why does the NCCN guidelines for CML on page 25 Warnings! includes Turmeric as one of the supplements that can interact with the medication and affect the ability of the drug do its job

https://www.nccn.org/guidelines/guidelines-detail?category=1&id=1427

Vlacer

The concern regarding Curcurmin/Turmeric according to the table on page 25 is that it could 'enhance' the absorption of some TKI's (dasatinib in my case) which may or may not be a good thing. Clinical trials are done specifically to learn pharmacokinetics and efficacy of drug treatments (and adverse events). Once these data are collected, then anything which could alter these results is noted and concerns raised.

In the case of Curcumin, it's half-life in the blood is only a few hours. And the half-life of dasatinib is about 5 hours. By avoiding taking the drug at the same time (by a few hours) as Curcumin, the interaction (if any) between the drug and Curcumin is greatly reduced or eliminated. But I personally was never concerned about it because I never took full dose dasatinib and Curcumin's synergy with dasatinib is also reported (see below).

In my own case, I have been taking Curcumin with dasatinib (not at the same time of day) for many many years. But I also took a very low dose of dasatinib (20 mg) before stopping therapy. Curcumin has also been documented as "enhancing" dasatinib effectiveness. In my early days of treatment, I took curcumin at the same time of night as dasatinib (because I was taking a lot more curumin at the time) with only a falling PCR as a result.

But, I am just one data point.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/20473900/

Hi Scuba,
Thanks, your answers are always supported by scientific researches. Today I asked my Doctor and he recommended to stop taking the Curcumin, of course after I mentioned the warnings on the NCCN guidelines. I will do more research, but after my diagnosis I started taking the Imatinib, additionally Curcumin, D3+K2 (I had 23ng/ml at diagnosis and 85 ng/ml on last test), Selenium, Zinc, Vitamin C and Magnesium and in less than 12 months my qPCR is 0.009% IS so I think the Curcumin is not affecting the treatment and it is working.
Vlacer