You are here

Reflux problems

I am on imatinib 400 and have been taking for 8 years.
I used to take omeprazole 20 for acid problems and sopped taking it after about 3 years on being on imatinib.
Are there any other alternatives to taking omeprazole?
I dont have the problem all the time just now and then.Its just that im up all night when it happens.

Eight years is a very long time to be on a full dosage of any TKI. What is the possibility of reducing your dosage? Taking an additional medication to reduce the side-effects of a medication doesn't make a lot of sense if a dosage reduction will suffice..

Buzz

I have just got my results and my readings are 0.0002 (undetectable)as they have been for quite a while.My consultant is keeping me on the full dose and as far as im aware it must be for a reason.
The reflux problems are nothing to do with Imatinib I had very bad IBS before being diagnosed with CML but after starting on Nilotinib (later changed to Imatinib due to high Bilarubin results)my IBS cleared up.
I just get acid problem every now and again.

Hi, I was getting reflux really bad and bloating feeling ,I used to drink weak lime cordial all the time so I stopped drinking that and drank more water and changed from normal milk to lactose free .And bingo so far so good it’s working . I also take my vitamin supplements with an Actimel ,good for the gut .

You might want to check with your consultant as to the reason he/she is keeping you on full dosage.

Buzz

I take dasatinib 100mg. My lansoprazole is strictly limited to 30mg. I am also prescribed Gaviscon Advance (available in the UK). It has taken many years to get my GORD under control. I have worked out that I must not take tomato, onion or dark chocolate. Coffee is not an issue. I seem to get away with taking sundried tomatoes in oil.

Curiously, some of my adverse conditions have improved since I have taken dasatinib.

Why did you stop taking omeprazole? Imatinib is the only TKI that you can take with a proton pump inhibitor without interaction.

David.

I stopped Omeprazole because I read that continuous use isnt recommended.
As I said it is only occasionally when I get reflux problems.

Ah, OK. You’re right, omeprazole isn’t great to take long-term as it can cause osteoporosis.

You can take something like gastrocote to relieve intermittent reflux symptoms. It works really well.

I’ve been through the full gamut of reflux products, ending up with a surgical fix. Gastrocote was, in my experience, the best of the “temporary” stuff.

David.

Thread continued from: 
Fatigue and the future